Want to know all about categories and tags in WordPress? Anybody who uses wordpress, must have heard of or used, categories and tags.
We will discuss categories and tags, in detail. We will also discuss, the difference between categories and tags.
Categories And Tags In WordPress
So let’s dive right in to the topic of categories & tags and how to create them.
What Are Categories And How To Create Them
Category is a default taxonomy in WordPress. In other words, it is the most common method of grouping the content, on your blog. You can use categories, to group your blog posts, in different sections.
Categories helps audience, to determine the topics of your website so that they can navigate easily.
Consider a blog named ConveyArena. The blog has different topics such as Technology, Internet, Blogging, Tutorials, How To, Softwares, Ebooks, Mobiles. The topics are being converted into categories. So, in other words, each topic, in the blog is either a category or a sub category.
You can easily create or add categories in wordpress and you can do it with 2 different methods
- Log in to the Dashboard of you WordPress website.
- Hover your mouse over the Posts tab, you will get an extended list of items.
- Click on Categories.
- Fill in the Category Name, select Parent Category (if any), fill in the Category Description
- Click on Add New Category
- Go to the Post => Categories section on your blog post & click on the Add New Category link.
- Type in Category Name & Select Parent Category (if any). Now, click on Add New Category button.
What Are Tags And How To Create Them
Tags are also taxonomy in wordpress. They are similar to Categories and are used to group content, on your blog post.
You can use Tags, to group your content, in a single post. Tags help the audience, to discover the topics of your post.
You can easily create or add tags in wordpress and you can do it with 2 different methods
- Log in to the Dashboard of you wordpress website
- Hover your mouse over the Posts section, you will get an extended list of items
- Click on Tags
- Fill in the Tag Name & the Description. Click on Add New Tag.
- Go to the Post => Tags section on your blog post.
- Type in Tag Name & hit Enter.
Difference Between Categories And Tags
|They are generalized in nature||They are specific in nature|
|Usually used to group content for entire website||Usually used to group content for a single post|
Categories And Tags In WordPress is a blessing in disguise for blogger as they can categorize their niche effortlessly.
You may also like,