Want to know how to Create Anchor Links In Your WordPress Site? You have come to the right place for the answer.
In today’s article, we are going to discuss in detail, about what anchor links are, how to create them and why to create them.
Today, for every blog, anchor links have become an essential part.
What Are Anchor Links
Anchor Links are the links which are used to connect two different section of the same post or a page.
For example, I have written a long post and you want to go to a particular section in the post, then you will have to find it by scrolling down and going through the entire post.
To avoid this, I can create a link directly connecting to that particular section on the post, so that when you click on the link, you will go directly to the section that you are interested in.
You can create anchor links, manually as well as with the help of plugins.
Why Create Anchor Links
There are a few reasons to create Anchor Links.
Anchor links helps the audience to navigate through your website in a much better manner.
You don’t want to bore the audience with long posts, otherwise they will leave and never come back.
To avoid this, if you create anchor links in your post, the audience can easily navigate through your website, and directly go to the section they are interested in.
This will retain your audience by decreasing the bounce rate, and in-turn get you more revenue from your website.
Anchor links also tend to show up in search engine results, so it increases your website’s visibility on the internet.
Create Anchor Links In Your WordPress Site
There are 2 different ways to create anchor links in your WordPress site.
Create Anchor Links With Manually
- Go to your post and select the text you want to link a particular section to.
- Click on the Link Button and convert the text into and Anchor Link by entering the text with a dash “–” between every word and by adding a “#” at the beginning of the text.
- The text will look something like #What-Are-Anchor-Links?
- Go to the text which you want to connect to, and change it to a heading, with the help of the editor.
- Go to the Block section located in the right side of the page and click on Advance.
- Fill in the same text as the Link Button in the HTML Anchor tag but without “#“
- The text will look something like What-Are-Anchor-Links?
Create Anchor Links With A Plugin
Easy Table Of Contents is the most easy & efficient way to create anchor links.
- Install and Activate Easy Table Of Contents wordpress plugin. This plugin allows you to automatically generate a table of contents with anchor links. It uses headings to guess the content sections, and you can customize it as per your needs. In case you don’t know how to install & activate a WordPress plugin then check out our post on How To Install And Activate A WordPress Plugin.
- Go to Settings » Table of Contents page to configure the plugin settings.
- By default, the plugin is enabled for Pages. Enable the plugin for the Posts as well in the Enable Support section.
- You can also enable Posts in the Auto Insert section. This allows the plugin to automatically generate the table of contents for all articles, including the older articles that match the criteria. If you only want to automatically generate table of contents for specific articles, then you can leave this option unchecked.
- Select where you want to display the table of contents and when you want it to be triggered.
- You can also change the Appearance and Custom Theme of the table of contents as per your own specifications
- In the Advance section you will find more setting options. You can customize the all settings as per your specifications.
If you are a beginner then use the plugin since it very easy to use. If you want to create anchor link for a specific page use the manual method. The Table Of Contents section in this post is taken from Easy Table Of Contents wordpress plugin page.